Sunday 12 September 2010

Black Powder- Roster Chart

Napoleonics coming to Tokyo!   I have been looking through the Black Powder rules, and am cautiously optimistic that they can make for a good Napoleonic game.  Cautious, because we haven't yet tried them, optimistic because they seem quite tweak-able.  And I have always liked to tinker with rule sets.  

The mechanics seem simple, and given that we have to wrap things up in an afternoon, this will mean a lot as to how practical the set is for club use.

I've prepared a Roster Chart- a .pdf file for my force based on a download I got from the Black Powder Yahoo! group.   I've added it to the sidebar.  One very small brigade, units organized into 36 miniatures for the infantry, twelve for the cavalry, and only one gun model.  

Not every unit will be painted for the game.  I'll try to get as much done as time allows, but I can see us gaming with a bunch of figures blu-tacked onto temporary bases.  

Purists may gasp in disgust, but at this early stage I think it best that we just muster what we can and get gaming.  If past experience is anything to go by, if the game turns out well, then painting speed will go up exponentially.

2 comments:

Doc Smith said...

Leaving your very Japanese graphic of a 'young' Napoleon obviously in touch with his feminine side, its great to see you blogging again Robert. Hope you enjoy the Black Powder - actually, I know you will. Its been a lot of fun for me - and with my work and study commitments, it takes a lot to drag me out on a cold winters day to an unheated garage. But I've had an absolute blast with these rules and thoroughly enjoyed the games.

Cheers,
Doc

Robert said...

Heh, I've never had any hero worship for the Emperor or any other self-appointed "saviour", so I couldn't resist the graphic!

We'll see how the rules go; but the more I read, the more I like their flexibility. The proof, of course, will be in the playing. But I'm getting pretty excited about it!

I'll certainly be posting again over the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned.