Thursday 12 May 2011

Over the Hill.

I finished a trio of hills and rough ground to go with the trees for this Sunday's game.  I wanted them to be quite rocky, as it makes them more interesting visually.  That, and I was running out of (pricey) flocking so I didn't want to cover them completely in "grass".  
They are simply carved pieces of foamboard, covered with a sand and PVA mix, with cork chips and small pebbles added as boulders and rocky outcrops.  They were then sealed with a final coat of brushed-on undiluted PVA, and then painted using artists tube acrylics.  Static grass was again glued on using- you guessed it- PVA. 

I tried to make them generic enough to pass muster in battles ranging from the Peninsula to Russia, but also with an eye for a future project we are thinking of where something along the lines of Gettysburg's Devil's Den may prove very handy.

I had fun doing these, but I'm ready to get back to working on miniatures again after a refreshing break. God knows where I'll store all these, but I'll find a way.


4 comments:

Achilles said...

Excellent work as always Robert!

my only concern is how are you planning to carry all that terrain to our game on Sunday?

The Angry Lurker said...

We always need hills and those are good hills.

Robert said...

my only concern is how are you planning to carry all that terrain to our game on Sunday?

A really big bag! Unfortunately I may have to make two trips, as the problem is the grass mats which are hard to carry at the best of times. Still, I'm not so far away from the club so it is not too much of a bother.

Ray Rousell said...

Great looking hills, They're gonna be a bit of a pig to attack!!